Thursday, April 12, 2012

Feelings have Feelings.


A list of feelings:
I feel sexiest when I am wearing boxers and a huge t-shirt.
I feel happiest when I am surrounded by children discussing ideas
I feel powerful when I am driving in my car blasting the Mary Tyler Moore theme full blast (the Joan Jett version)
I feel prettiest when I first wake up in the morning and I can still see the dreams in my eyes
I feel safest when I am in bed talking to my little sister or when I am hanging out with my best friend laughing hysterically
I feel most comfortable in my bed surrounded by books and journals and lists
I feel worried when I see everyone around me begin to pair off
I feel lonely when I want to be social and there is no one around
I feel scared when I think of my life plans not working out
I feel angry when I think people are judging me or assuming I am not working hard
I feel sad when I make plans and they fall through or when I spend a lot of time fantasizing about something and it all comes crashing down
I feel joy when I spend a long time planning how something will happen and then it miraculously happens the way I planned
I feel admiration when I see someone doing what they love and having no apologies about it
I feel disgust when I see people doing something they hate and complaining about it all the time but doing nothing to better their position. I feel the ultimate disgust when I am one of these people
I feel anticipation every morning when I wake up and immediately start plotting
I feel hopeful about how things will turn out for me
I feel optimistic about my future
I feel shame when I hesitate to do the right thing
I feel kindness when I strive to do little things to show thanks, especially to people who don’t see it coming
I feel love when I walk into work and get trampled by kids. Also when they make me magnificent drawings.
I feel envy when people seem to get things so easily as I struggle to do the simplest things
I feel pity when someone with good intentions is not getting what they deserve
I feel indignation when I work hard on something and it goes unnoticed
I feel sad when I am misunderstood
I feel fearless when I am dressed as Swiper the Fox
I feel proud when I am told I will be a great teacher and that I have “kid magic”
I feel peaceful when it is Saturday morning and I am watching Disney movies in bed
I feel powerful when I am painting and jamming to a magical playlist on my iPod


I would like to finish with the lyrics of my theme song (borrowed from Mary Tyler Moore). Read the lyrics and drink them in, then do yourself a favor and download the Joan Jett version and sing it every day in the car on the way to work. If your life doesn’t improve then you just aren’t trying hard enough.


Who can turn the world on with her smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
Well it's you girl, and you should know it
With each glance and every little movement you show it

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
You're gonna make it after all

How will you make it on your own?
This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone
But it's time you started living
It's time you let someone else do some giving

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
You're gonna make it after all

1 comment:

  1. This whole post made me smile.

    Up to, and most definitely including, Mary Tyler Moore lyrics IN RAINBOW, as interpreted by Joan Jett (who is the best/most bad-ass lesbian on the planet. Why can't more of my kind aspire to be like her? Alas).

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete