Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Greatest Show on Earth

For those of you who don't know this is the first weekend of the Magical Mecca that is Coachella. For me, Coachella is the magical time of year when I can let my full Rainbow shine and I have no need to tone myself down at all. Needless to say I wait for it all year long. Coachella is like the Christmas of my soul, but instead of Baby Jesus being born a new piece of myself is born. So imagine my disappointment this year when I logged on to buy tickets and they were already sold out. How could this be? With another full weekend added there was no possible way that I could miss out on my Spiritual Cleanse. I called my Coachella soulmate (Billy) panicked and begged her to tell me that it was all a bad dream. Unfortunately, she told me, this was Coachella Reality.

There is nothing worse than expecting a spiritual turn around and being met with a screen flashing "Sold Out". How could they sell out on my Destiny???

The week after learning I would be missing out on my quest was pretty rough. Rather than spending it researching and memorizing the line-up and illegally downloading the music I spent it avoiding music altogether and crying in the bathroom at work.

My sadness quickly turned to anger and then finally corroded into bitterness. I thought the bitterness was going to carry me through till festival season was over but apparently things just don't work that way. Today I woke up in a funk and went through the day as a dark little storm cloud. It wasn't till later that I realized the problem. My soul was rebelling from the unjust treatment of being denied its cleanse.

I realized there was no way around it, I was going to need to have a Coachella break-down in order to get over the heartbreak. So I did the only thing that seemed reasonable to me, I watched Disney movies in bed, I ate terrible Chinese take-out, I went shopping and bought new sunglasses and a ridiculous house coat. I drove to the top of Mt. Helix blasting terrible maudlin music (I've never been officially broken up with- but my break up song of choice is "Why you Wanna Break my Heart? by Tia Carrere). I did all of these things and I still felt like shit (plus I felt like I was gonna hurl from the shitty MSG filled food).

So what is my new plan? Create my OWN Coachella!!!

I'm not talking about a "Taking Woodstock" scheme where I try and get a bunch of sweet bands to come and play in my backyard. I'm thinking more along the lines of creating my own Spiritual Awakening.

Now I'm not really sure how to spur a Spiritual Awakening. I know it has a lot to do with music, and putting yourself in uncomfortable situations and putting your body to the limit. And being with a friend that completely understands and supports you and thinks you are great even if your bowels nearly explode every year from refusing to use port-a-potties. So how do I re-create this in the quiet little city of La Mesa with no friends around to speak of and no desert sun to make me sweat out all my negative energy? So far I haven't figured this out, but I have decided to make this my new goal. My new motto will be "What would I be doing were I at Coachella?" If I'm not being completely authentic then I might as well not even bother. Perhaps I'll sleep in my tent in the yard, and eat only really shitty food and blow out my eardrums with loud music and get super sunburned and hot. Maybe I need to take a week off work and fly to one of my friends and soak up their love and support like a leech and hope that it lasts long enough for me to get through this year. Perhaps I shall try all of these things.  All I know is it is concert season I feel trapped here in reality and I need a kick in the ass to boost me into hyper drive.

Basically I need to stop babying myself and start giving myself some tough love. It might not be pretty, but that's kinda how Coachella works. You push yourself to the ultimate limit, walk through horse shit and crap in terrible filthy public toilets and eat greasy warmed up food and sleep on the cold hard ground surrounded by dirty drunk vomit covered humans. And after all this you come out completely clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment